This website provides you with information about medical schemes and medical scheme options that are available in South Africa. With 24 schemes and 138 options (and we are adding more daily), all the resources to help you learn about your or any other medical scheme are now available in one place.
No life-changing decisions should be made based purely on information offered on this site. Please consult a suitably qualified professional person to advise and assist you.
The information on this site will help you make informed decisions about the healthcare cover options that you can choose from that will best suit your and your dependants particular healthcare needs. Aspects to consider, include:
- Premiums or monthly contributions, whether for a single person or for families/dependants.
- Benefits that you may want to consider, such as hospital cover, medicine cover, chronic disease cover, day-to-day cover, cover for conditions such as cancer, etc.
- Special arrangements between schemes and groups of doctors, pharmacies and/or hospitals that might influence the suitability or practical implications of a scheme to meet your needs.
- The level of payment for services or products, such as medicine, dental or eye care, and or co-payments or deductibles that may affect your ability to manage your unique financial situation.
The development and maintenance of this tool are undertaken by a contracted third party and is sponsored by Innovative Medicines SA in the interest of consumer education and empowerment. All data is obtained from publicly available information.
How to use this site
There are four different methods to look for information provided on this site. Each method has its own button.
There are at least two sequences in which you can use the buttons on this site:
- In general, we recommend that you follow the buttons from top-to-bottom (e.g. steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 as described below).
- You may also start with 4 (Get schemes that fit my criteria), which will give you a list of schemes that match the criteria you selected. You can then get more information about each scheme on that list by going to Step 1 (Summaries of the options) or look at two of the options that match your requirements (View two schemes side by side), to see the details of their premiums and benefits (e.g. steps 4, 1, 2 and 3 or 4, 1, 3 and 2).
You might find it easier to have all the information at hand in hard copy, by printing out specific information.
- If you are new to the medical schemes environment, or just want information on all the options of your scheme, click Get summaries of scheme information. This button gives you summaries of all the major scheme information and all the major benefits on each option.
- If you are on a scheme already, or people have recommended schemes to you, the View two schemes side-by-side button may be useful to see major differences or similarities between plans.
- If you want to see how a particular option fares when placed with all other options on a particular aspect, such as contributions (premiums) or hospital-benefits, click on View my option in context of other options.
- If you are looking for a specific match with your specific requirements in terms of salary, number of dependants and the level of cover you want, click on Get schemes that fit my criteria..